Week 8-Experience-March 20, 2013
Points to Ponder
v When we experience God in worship, we are empowered to serve Him-and worship Him more.
- After this, the Lord appointed 70 others, and He sent them ahead of Him in pairs to every town and place where He Himself was about to go. Luke 10:1. In fact, not one of their names is even mentioned in the Bible. Most likely, their only real qualification for service was their eager desire to spend time with Jesus.
- The Seventy must have learned numerous valuable principles during the time they had spent at Jesus’ feet; and when it was time to put their faith to work, they were empowered by His presence. These ordinary people got a firsthand view of God’s willingness to respond to their act of worship! Luke 10:1-19
v Experiencing God in worship requires time and sacrifice.
- Experiencing God in worship starts with our willingness to give God first place in our lives. This means spending time with Him every day-through prayer and devotion to His written and Living Word. God rewards those who diligently seek Him. Apart from Him, we truly can do nothing-and that includes worship. We cannot worship God unless we spend time with Him.
- We can’t receive a fresh revelation of God and the continual indwelling of the Holy Spirit without changing our priorities in life. Mark 1:35; Luke 9:57, 59, 61-62
- Don’t pay so much attention to the sacrifices and commitments of others, but rather what does God desire for us to do?
- They willingly suffered loss that other might know Christ. Worship Him as you step out in faith, my dear friend He is worthy. And He is waiting. Acts 5:41
v Experiencing God in worship requires us to trust and obey and keep our focus on Jesus.
- God doesn’t just use preachers, worship leaders, and celebrities to accomplish His work on this earth. He is constantly working around you, too. Ephesians 3:20-21
- However, don’t rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven, Luke 10:20. It is not then what He accomplishes through us but first and foremost that we are His.
- Authentic service and worship must always be about Jesus! As God moves in our midst, it is so easy for us to trust in our own talents and abilities rather than maintain total dependence on God. It is crucial that Jesus remains the object, source, and fulfillment of our worship. He truly deserves the glory!
v God shows up when His people immerse themselves in worship!
- Luke 19:37-38-Their worship was unrestrained. God Himself fulfilled His promise to be present with them as they worshiped! God always inhabits the praises of His people.
- If Jesus really is who they say He is-if He really is the Son of God come to set us free from sin-then you must respond! Surely it is Him! There is no way to stop the worship. The religious leaders have lost control. If the people stop praising Him, the stones will start to cry out.
- The presence of God in Christ Jesus at the moment provides an indelible living image of God’s promise to be present when His people worship Him. God always inhabits the praises of His people! And when God is present-when the revelation of God increases-complete and unrestrained worship is our only reasonable response.
v Our worship invites God’s presence; His presence brings increased revelation; and we respond with never-ending worship.
- Never-ending worship was their destiny, and it is ours as well.
- When we turn our attention to the One we worship, our worship expression and experience is totally dependent on where we see our Father seated. If He is seated in the press box, carefully judging our performance (and our lives) because it is His job to see if we meet some performance standard, the we will approach our Father with caution and fear.
But if we see Him as the Father who has climbed on top of the bleachers to get a better view of His dear child-as a Father who waves His arms and screams His support with all His strength to let us know that He loves us and is there for us-then nothing and no one can keep us from experiencing God at the very moment.
- Worship while you wait. Worship while you are under the weight of circumstances. Worship when He seems near and when He seems so far away. Your name is written in the book of Heaven; and when this life is over, you will be worshiping Him day and night for eternity. Now that is something to celebrate!